From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word ‘Powai’ comes from Padmavati a Hindu Goddess , whose temple is situated on the banks of Lake Powai. Its etymology is drawn from the deity’s name Padma Aai, which means Mother Padma, in the local language Marathi.
The suburb has grownup in recent past into a modern township with its grand Hiranandani Garden and other state-of-art structures and Residential complexes.
Its a truly cosmopolitan area with people of different ethnicity and nationalities making it their home.
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT Bombay),
- The Construction, engineering and manufacturing conglomerate Larsen & Toubro group of companies
- The National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), and
- The Five star Hotels : The Rodas and The Residency
- The Government colonies of Income Tax Dept,Customs, Coast guard &c.
- Gopal Sharma Group of Schools
- Prathamesh galaxy.
- Hotel Pramod Vihar
- Bombay Scottish School Powai
- International Business School (IBS)
- LH Hiranandani Hospital
- Galleria Shopping Arcade
- Hakone Go Karts and Video Games
- Powai Plaza
Powai has Ayappa Temple, Swami Narayan Temple, Panch-Kutir Temple, a Gurudwara, two churches and a Mosque.
The Powai area has grown tremendously in the past decade and it is presently a residential, commercial and retail hub for the eastern suburbs of Bombay – in news more for traffic snarls than anything else.
Stretch of Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link (JVL) Road called ‘Adi Shankaracharya Marg’ (AS Marg) is passing through this suburb.
- Hiranandani Gardens
- Raheja Vihar. Off Chandivali Farm Road
- Jal Vayu Vihar Complex, Adi Shankaracharya Marg.
- Suncity Complex : (Comprising Neptune, Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Pluto and Mars Buildings, Near Gandhi Nagar Flyover)
- Shiv Srishti Complex , Behind SM Shetty School
- IIT Mumbai Staff CHS Ltd. Behind SM Shetty School. Hiranandani Powai
- Panchratna Housing Society, Adi Shankaracharya Marg.[Includes SBI and NTPC Officers’ Quarters]
- Mhada Colony, Rambag
- Nahar’s Amrit Shakti Complex, Chandivali Powai
- Lake homes Complex, Powai
- Om Shanti Complex
- Leo Complex
- Powai Vihar
Amenities and Classes:
- Shiamak Davar’s Dance Classes
- Forest club has squash lessons, swimming lessons, bharatnatyam (Sudha Chandran), Tennis Lessons
- Aaakar Science clubs and classes
- Ansar Academy of Western Dance
- The Apple Tree: Ballet, Foxtrot
- Gurukul: Personality development, dance, music, theatre
Powai’s Hiranandani Gardens is often featured in many Bollywood movies.